Wednesday, July 12, 2017

He's a Good Dude

First off, sorry about not posting for over a month. That's messed up. Having this kiddo is not an excuse to drop blogging all together. I'm going to make a better effort. I have him in daycare every Wednesday this summer, so I'll try to make that my automatic posting day.

Today at the gym two goofy things happened. The first one was when I looked up at a guy who was hollering at me from his treadmill. I was blaring an album by stoner rock legends Sleep at that moment so I couldn't hear what he was saying. When I took out my ear buds I ascertained that he was hollering at someone on his headphones phone device. But why look right at me when you're berating someone else? I was scared for a second there because I don't know how to fight and the dude was big.

The other odd duck was a middle aged man who stopped a young Asian woman to ask if she was using a machine. That is normal gym behavior. Then he said, "Can I work in with you?" That is also an okay request, I think. But then he asked, "Do you have a sister?" I'm not sure about that last one.

The other thing is that I have a pretty awesome kid. We are all a little biased, right? But from where I'm standing, he's a good dude. Erik is 10 months now, and he likes to do little tricks all the time. He waves, points, sniffs, does mouth popping noises, flaps his arms, and shakes his head. Those are the ones I can think of right now. I'll ask him to do "sniffies," for example, and without seeing me for a cue, he starts sniffing away. And the sniff face is mean-looking so it looks like he is mean-mugging people and everyone has a good laugh. He will do one or more of these things and then look at you to see your reaction, and when you do it back to him, he thinks it's hilarious. This kid is going to be funny. His mom and dad are funny too, so I think there are going to be a lot of good times ahead.

Erik also smiles at everyone, which makes everyone he meets feel special. "He smiled at me!" I don't tell them that he does that for everybody because why spoil their moment? He also likes to share, he likes to laugh, and he can dunk a basketball. Sort of. And in that video he hadn't quite learned how to crawl, so he was doing the worm. So break dancing is something I can add to his list of tricks. Talking? Not really. Just "Mama" and "Dada" thus far and not always in context. But I got this little man doing tricks like a dog. His mom gets mad at me because he will growl/grunt and I'll do it back to him, and we will be on the floor together grunting like a couple of cavemen. Mom thinks that I should be saying more words to him instead, and while she is probably right, the growling is a blast. It's a good life.

How about you, readers? What makes you proud of your kids? And if you don't have kids, who are you proud of? Or if you aren't proud of anyone at all, have you seen any weirdos at the gym or elsewhere lately?

8 comments:

Exile on Pain Street said...

Cute kid but it's either him or us, pal. Don't forget your audience. I recognize this feeling. It's like when my pal Chuck got a girlfriend and I never heard from him again.

Seriously, I like his mobility.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Exile: I'm not leaving you guys! I promise. I'm back in action now. I got a blog topic in the hopper about an insane Australian coked up lady we met on a bachelor party. I want to get that one down on paper before I forget more of the details.

But you're right. It so is like the guy getting the girlfriend and disappearing. And it's even worse because I know that the blogging is good for my brain and I'm happier when I do it. It's not as much about having a kid as it is using the kid as an excuse to have no time, be tired, and most importantly, be lazy.

I'm on it, dude.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Your boy sounds like a happy baby, which is a million times better than a cranky one. Did the Asian girl say whether she had a sister?

Jimmy Fungus said...

I'm sure you are a very busy man, at least you have important reasons to not blog. There was once one guy at work who kept asking me if I had a sister. When I told him no, he kept insisting I was lying. It is kind of a weird question to just ask out of the blue.

Mr. Shife said...

Glad to hear all is progressing well in the Noisewater household. Keep enjoying the ride, my friend. There has to be a blog out there that posts nothing but gym weirdness. I see stuff every time I go to the place. Maybe we should start one Dr. Ken. And quit slacking on your blog, you lazy bastard. =)

E. Rosewater said...

10 months already! the fun is just about to begin when erik starts walking and talking.

i used to ride my bike real early in the morning and pick up empty beer cans.(10 cents each.) when i checked the trash bins in front of the glass windows of the gym, most of the people on the treadmills etc looked at me like i was some sort of homeless pond scum.

so it goes.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Gorilla: I did not hear what she said back to him. I like to think she has one.

Jimmy: That guy at your work seems weird. Hahaha!

Shife: I could get down with this weirdos at the gym thing if you are wanting to get it off the ground.

Rosewater: But who had the last laugh when you cashed in those cans for cold hard cash and all they had to show for their time was bulging biceps?

Kono said...

Little known Kono fact, i coach basketball, i dig that E-money followed his shot, didn't even have to teach him, that's half the battle... and don't worry about the words he'll pick them up faster than you'll realize, i recently caught Nick Disaster (8) calling his big bro (11) a f*cking bastard, funny i don't know where he would learn something like that but since he used it in the correct context i was quite proud, before i told him he couldn't say stuff like that or more correctly get caught saying stuff like that, parenting at it's finest!!!